Friday, June 21, 2013

The Painful Lesson 6 – Crumbled Clay

I found the potter working at the wheel. But the vessel he was making did not turn out as he hoped, so he crushed it into a lump of clay and started again.

Today we cover a lot of ground. Our text is from Jeremiah 18 (18:1-17 specifically), 19, 21, 22, 23, & 24

How can we get God to start over on us? Do we really truly want Him to?
It can be so painful.

We’ve talked about how God wants His Bride to be holy. Be worthy of her title. But the only way for that to be accomplished is our complete surrender.
Is it that God just lets go of the wheel and lets us crash our own cart? Maybe. Please don’t misunderstand. God is still in control! He is still here! He has never, and will lever leave. You can count on that if that’s the only thing in all the world you can count on.

Because it is.

Jeremiah must have been like me. Object lessons really hit home for him. I love how God knows each of us so intimately that He knows how to send a message that will deliver the greatest impact; tailored for each of His children.
Don’t you just love Him for that?

Read Jeremiah 18:1-17 & 19

Jeremiah 18:3 “So I did as he told me and found the potter working at his wheel. 4 But the jar he was making did not turn out as he had hoped, so he crushed it into a lump of clay again and started over. 5 Then the Lord gave me this message: 6 “O Israel, can I not do to you as this potter has done to his clay? As the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand.” NLT

I know we have all got to (some of us many times) come to a place where God is all that is left, so God is all we need. And He wants us there sooner rather than later. Some of us are content with God alone, and could take or leave everything else in life. Good for you, if that’s you. But if you’re like me, it has taken hard lesson after lost relationship after hurt heart to get me there. Are you with me?
And it is cyclical, with ups and downs, and do-overs; much like the Israelites really. But God hasn’t let go, hasn’t given up and most definitely is faithful to complete the work He started in you.

Philippians 1:6 “And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.” NLT

So maybe He lets go and lets us crash our own cart. But maybe He has more specific timing and wants it to happen a certain way “so that we know His power.”

Raising up situations. Taking away comfort-zones. God patiently prunes. Purging. God is taking your comfortable land away from you. Read Chapters 21 & 22 Especially take note of 21:14, and 22:5-6

He is taking everything you know, that place you cling to – that maybe you haven’t realized you were leaning on and trusting in more than in God? – He’s turning it to rubble.

Why? Are you still with me? Because we replaced Him. He didn’t value God in our prosperity. In our security. In our happy relationship with that person. In our comfortable job. Because we adulterated ourselves with something- anything- other than Him. Relationships took priority. Or job, or crafting, or cleaning. What about hurt, self-pity? Can you fill in the blank with me on this? Because we violated our covenant (22:9)

Romans 1:18-31
Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts… and [they] received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

See Jeremiah 22, especially 5-6, 12, 20-30
Are you feeling like your life is crumbling? Maybe God destroyed those ‘lovers’ you cheated on Him with, and now all you have is Him. He did it because He loves you, sweet sister.

Next read Jeremiah 23-24. (These are both short chapters. You will be glad you did) Especially take note of 23:23-24 & 29

Jer 23:23 ““Am I a God who is only close at hand?” says the Lord.    “No, I am far away at the same time.24 Can anyone hide from me in a secret place?    Am I not everywhere in all the heavens and earth?”    says the Lord.” NLT

He has been here the whole time. He knows it all. Where did you think you could’ve gone that He couldn’t see?
This makes me just want to curl up into a ball a little. A lot.

But then isn’t that just what He wanted in the first place? A ball. A lump of clay. That lump of clay that He will start over, rebuild and reshape until you are how He intended.
Read Jeremiah 24, looking closely at 24:4-8
Replanted, nurtured, and re-established in Him. Let him give you that heart. It is not going to “just happen”. Dear One, nothing ever “just happens”. He has a very intentional purpose for you. And He cares too much to leave you to chance. He will crumble you and rebuild you as many times as it takes to get it right. And He gives you the heart that you need. Let Him.


Jeremiah 24:7 “I will give them hearts that recognize me as the Lord. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me wholeheartedly.” NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment