Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Bread and Water

Our most basic needs. Hunger and thirst. When we think of needs – actual needs – it always seems to boil down to three: food, clothing, shelter.
But I’d like to argue that there’s really only one basic basic need. Food. Food and water.
Yes, our culture demands clothing, and shelter is optimal, but there is not getting around the need for food.

Jesus knew this. Why else would He claim to be the Bread of Life?
He knows we need Him, and there is just no getting around it.

Our text is John 6.
Jesus had just gotten through feeding the five thousand. Overnight, some of the people stayed. Overnight, there was also a storm, and Jesus walked on water.

Interesting to note verse 20 – He says “Do not be afraid, I am here.” Or, “The I AM is here.” source What a great reason to not be afraid. Because our God, the Beginning and the End, and the Self-Existent One [Who relies on no one else, having no need for help, and is entirely self-capable] is here.

Would that we were just as eager to let Him in, and let Him take the wheel. (John 6:21)

Then, in the morning, many of the people from the 5,000 crowd were still there, and Jesus sees through their eagerness.
Look at verse 26:
John 6:26 “Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth,”
(and doesn’t He always tell the truth?)

“you want to be with me because I fed you, not because you understood the miraculous signs.”” NLT
Don’t we often fit that bill?
‘Dear Jesus, please let me score well on my exam today.’
‘Dear Jesus, please help me finish this before deadline.’
‘God, help me arrive safely to work this morning… and on time!’
Please let this or that happen.

We know His power.

And those things are fine and good, but is that it?
John 6:27a “But don’t be so concerned about perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that the Son of Man can give you…” NLT emphasis mine

Spend your energy. Not just a quick ‘God is great’ prayer before our meal. Work at it. And if your salvation is already secured, whose life then should we be seeking?

And the people still didn’t get it. Verse 30:
John 6:30 “They answered, “Show us a miraculous sign if you want us to believe in you. What can you do?” NLT

Give me, and then I’ll believe.

And then Jesus says, “I give.”

Even after that, I’d have wanted to correct their attitude – but He stoops, explains, teaches. "My Father does give you Bread. I am that Bread."

John 6:35 “Jesus replied, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” NLT
John 6:48 “Yes, I am the bread of life!” NLT
John 6:51 “I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Anyone who eats this bread will live forever; and this bread, which I will offer so the world may live, is my flesh.” NLT

And they still didn’t get it.
So He explains what He means again. See verses 63-64.
Human effort is us, trying to do, to be enough, to win our way. Humbly just accepting isn’t enough for some of us, is it?
But that’s all He wants.

John 6:29 “Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”” NLT

He is it. He is the sustenance. The bread we need to survive. Believe it. He is the Water, living water.
This passage is sandwiched in between two other times Jesus says He is living water. In John 4:14 and John 7:37-39.

So He meets that primal, basic basic need that we have no way around. For we don’t truly need any other thing.
For any needs we have on earth unmet lead to death and our eternal existence – in which we need Living water and the Bread of Life to enter Heaven.
Do you see it?

Peter had it right this time. See verses 68-69
John 6:68a “Simon Peter replied, “Lord, to whom would we go?...”” NLT
What else is there?
He is it, and there’s no way around it.


No comments:

Post a Comment