Saturday, September 21, 2013

Acceptance - 6

So you’re not accepted.
You don’t fit in.

Fit in, may I ask, to what? With whom?

How you answer that question may well be the solution to your problem.
You see, when we try to fit in with the world, and continually have to change and adapt, and may I be so bold as to say compromise, we will continually fail, because it is not who God made us to be. Not who God saved us to be.

Please read 1 Peter 3.

I’m going to jump back a few verses and add 1 Peter 2:9

1 Peter 2:9 “But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.” NASB

If we want to be accepted, we ought to pick the One whose acceptance matters most, n'est-ce pas?

And what are our criteria for acceptance?
Q: What do you tend to try or do to attain acceptance?
Q: How’s that working out for you?

I want you to take a look at 1 Peter 3:3-4.

Q: Who ought we be looking to please?
Q: What are His criteria? (see verse 4)

I would bet that His list looks a bit different than our list. We try and do and attempt at anything and everything, because then we can look back and say, “Look at me. Look at what I accomplished, when really, nothing we did caused the all-holy, ever-just God to look on us with mercy. He gave us that mercy, and on top of that, the profound gift of grace. What more could a girl ask for?

To have the world love us, too? Is that it?

We are supposed to shine. Stand out. Why would we want that acceptance? Why would we want that acceptance?

See verse 12 in our text:

1 Peter 3:12 “For the eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous,And His ears attend to their prayer,But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” NASB
Theorize with me: Would you rather have the world accept you for a time, and continually have to chase it? And be accepted by a world who is going to be separated from our all-holy all-loving God for eternity? OR would you rather have a bit harder time fitting in, but have an eternal God who is all powerful and all-forgiving sweep you off your feet and invite you into His holy Heaven?

We must keep this in mind. Our aim to fit in ought to have nothing to do with this world. In our next session we will look briefly at being accepted by God. Right now, though, I want you to focus on striving to be unaccepted by the world – because if the world is at odds with us, we ought to be glad. Here’s why:

James 4:4 “You adulterers! Don't you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again: If you want to be a friend of the world, you make yourself an enemy of God.” NLT

Romans 8:7 “For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God's laws, and it never will.” NLT

Our steadfast focus should be on Christ. Convinced, sure, certain, solid:

2 Timothy 1:11-12 “And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher.  That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.” NIV emphasis mine

Any hatred toward you for being a Christian, for living like Christ, for being different, standing out (or sticking out), is not truly directed toward you.

John 15:18-21 “If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A slave is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they kept My word, they will keep yours also. But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know the One who sent Me.” NASB

Q: Why does the world hate you, according to verse 21?
Q: If you are hated, then, what should be our desire for that person?

Should we get angry or hurt when someone doesn’t accept us? Someone who is not a child of God?
I argue that we shouldn’t. Here’s why. Because our greatest emotion in that moment ought to be compassion for their souls- because they are not headed for an eternity in Heaven.


Pray this week for God to help turn your hurt into compassion – a desire for them to know our God. More than likely, you will not be feeling it. Often when I don’t feel it, I ask God to help me use His love for them until I feel it myself. Be a channel for His mercy love and compassion toward His precious creation. In this way, we focus less on our own rejection, less on our own hurts, and turn our hearts outward. And I believe that’s just what God wants from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment